"ANYBODY CAN BE BEAT!" - Bart Scott

Monday, February 6, 2012

Bravehearts: The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It cannot get worse for Bradley basketball.

Ok, that's not true. We could lose to ISWho twice this year. If (when) we do lose to a team that has managed to move up a few spots in the conference this year, I won't feel terrible.

What I do feel terrible about is losing by at least 30 points three different times this season to three different team.

What I feel terrible about is knowing that we have become the laughingstock of the Valley.

What I feel terrible about is knowing that this season is doomed to repeat itself next year.

Uptempo, on and off the court

Geno Ford might be one of the funniest and loosest coaches I've ever had a conversation with. He's funny, genuine, and shoots straight. I wish his team could latch on to that kind of charisma and turn it into points on the board. Geno's positivity on the side lines almost makes me wonder if he's blindly ignorant to his situation—or maybe he's just blind.  He's clapping his guys up and down the floor, never yells during timeouts, and never looks totally disparaged, as far as I can tell.

Why? Because he knows that this is only year one.

The proof is in the pudding

If you want proof that Geno Ford is the guy to fix Bradley,  look at this year's Kent State Team.  The team he assembled is 16-6, including a season-opening win at West Virginia. These guys play under Ford's former assistant, and they also run the same system Ford runs. Did I mention the guy won back-to-back MAC championships? Yes, it's the MAC, a weaker conference, but to win back-to-back means that you can find talent, and then you can mold it. Besides, Norris Cole came out of the MAC and look what he's doing in Miami.

It took him a few years, but Geno Ford can get it done.

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed." 


The Braves will rise again. They will. Their combined failures will give way to a bold phoenix, ready to spread its wings and whip away the dust and debris of this abysmal season.

But not with this crop of players.

Don't be surprised if five or six guys don't come back next season. At all. We're talking off the team, people. Personally, I'm excited to see Nate Wells and Will Egolf in the post, Walt continue working on his jump shot, and what DSE can do so ball will be in his hands more next season. 

I think we're all excited, really. They can only improve.

Until then, go check out the women's games, and Katie Yohn's passes. Trust me. 

There's always next year, 

K-Mac

Ed. Note: "A bold phoenix"? K-Mac must have been reading the fifth Harry Potter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment